Visit to EMC.....
It all started with the Chetana Jobs yahoo group providing the link for the Technical Writer during the job search. The Twin link some how interested me and I started browsing more to get information.
TWIN is nothing but the Technical Writers of India....discussion forum.....It seems a very dull job to a lot of people, but personally I feel its the best way to get noted in the big world......when one buys a product, we read its manual first. The manual gives all the functions, features of the product. Just developing the product is not enough, one needs to give proper documentation so that the end user who might a layman to the technology world understands how to use the product.This idea seemed very interesting to me and I got involved in this TWIN idea.
This field has its own advanatges and disadvantages as with any career line. :)
Coming back to the EMC visit.....I attended the Seminar conducted by the STC Learning Center on Saturday 25th June 2005. The very idea of the seminar being at EMC put me off at the beginning....then I decided that I should not be interested in the venue....
The seminar was to start at 10AM. I had received the confirmation mail from Akash Dubey, one of the co-ordinators of the program. I reached EMC by 9.40AM. It was very easy to find EMC since its just down my office.
The place looked good except that to show that its a data storage company, the reception welcomes one with huge servers. :) :).....
The first feeling I got when I enetered was that as a kid, when mother's threaten that would lock up the naughty kid in the dark room ....if the naughtiness cannot be handled, I felt the same would be done if I did not do the work properly by my team lead or PM......it was like the not working people would be locked with the servers......... :) [I hope the EMC friends would never read this blog :) :) ]
After collecting the vistor's pass, I was shown into the Lotus Conference room. They have the rooms named after the various flowers. Apparently the interiors are all the same in most MNC's. But I did not feel the same excitement as I had felt when I had entered Accenture for the first time. The way Accenture welcomes is something very different..... :) Maybe I sound partial....but that's the fact.
The place ambience matters a lot atleast for me, if I have to work in that place. I just love the water fountains here at Accenture and the greenary all around.... :)
The seminar started at 10AM, Partima was the main speaker for the day. She started off with small introduction of all the participants. Many were surprised to see that there was a developer in the group. I did not feel anything, but the way it was put forth made me feel..."Am I making a wrong decison? " Only time must tell .......
The seminar started at 10AM, Partima was the main speaker for the day. She started off with small introduction of all the participants. Many were surprised to see that there was a developer in the group. I did not feel anything, but the way it was put forth made me feel..."Am I making a wrong decison? " Only time must tell .......
The initial introductions started, Pratima the speaker was a charming lady.....with lots of experience........behind her. She made sure that all of us present felt comfortable. I was the only person with no knowledge of this technical writing and all.....and who had come as a spectator. Still, it was fun. A lot of people had come from Infosys, few from Wipro...then from various other companies. The seminar started ......with some fun by Antony and the video coverage being done by Akash.
Epic Editor is a new editor which is being used by many comapnies which can easily convert your word doc into pdf, online help, windows help format, html format..etc at the click of a button.
Its an Arbotext product.....and it has a lot of features.....The Epic Editor with the help of the E3 server (Enterprise Contenet Engine can just convert the word to PDF, Online Help, Web Help, Windows Help at the touch of a button.
Hmm.....now I really need to think as to whether I should shift or not...... the field is fun to work at.....but I am not sure.........if I want to leave Siebel.............. :) :)



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home